The success and growth of your small business hinge in great part on your ability to build brand consistency. Contrary to popular belief, your brand is much more than your logo or name. Building your brand requires dedication to developing a consistent strategy, call to action, and mode of communicating with your client. Below is a look at the key role of brand consistency and some effective ways that your small business can build brand consistency.
Why is brand consistency important for small businesses?
A key challenge for small business owners is building authenticity for their companies. Fortunately, this can be achieved in a cost-effective manner by promoting brand consistency. In order to be successful, brand consistency must extend beyond your products and services to every element of your organization. Below are some of the top reasons why brand consistency is important for small businesses:
- Brand consistency builds your company’s legitimacy
- Customers are able to recognize your company quickly
- Consistency gives your business a professional image
- Prospects are more likely to trust your company
- Brand consistency helps keep all company employees on the same page
- Your pitches to prospective clients are more apt to be well-received
How can a small business establish brand consistency?
Clearly, there are many reasons why small business owners should strive to establish brand consistency. From building company recognition to fostering trust, brand cohesiveness is vital to taking your business to the next level of success. There is no single step to take to achieve brand consistency. As a business owner, you must use a compilation of strategies to give your brand a unified voice. Below are some key ways that small businesses can build a consistent brand:
1) Create a brand guide for your company and employees. A brand guide is a helpful document that will help ensure that all of your employees are on the same page with respect to branding. Topics to reference in your brand guide include your logo usage, brand colors, media formatting, and signage.
2) Use the same font across all media. One of the best ways to create a cohesive brand experience for your customers is to use the same typeface for all client communications. As summarized by Wistia designer, Joe Ringenberg, this measure helps to give your brand a unified voice:
“For a brand to have a personality, all the things it makes need to look like they were drawn by the same hand,” – Joe Ringenberg, design lead at Wistia.
3) Keep colors consistent across all media. Maintaining consistency in your company colors is a critical part of the branding process. You can help keep your colors consistent by streamlining your vendors and using color management software.
4) Regularly review your media and update any inconsistent items. Performing an annual content audit helps to ensure that you correct any inconsistencies in color, font, or formatting. Your content audit should include a thorough review of your website, social media pages, business cards, and media.
5) Make sure to incorporate your brand into your company culture. Your offices, vehicles, and employee presentations should all reflect your company’s brand in the same fashion. Additionally, brand consistency should be integrated into all employee onboarding activities and training initiatives.
The Bottom Line
Brand consistency plays a vital role in establishing a small business as a legitimate organization. By following the tips above, you can create a consistent, professional company image that your customers will immediately recognize. For more information on bolstering your company’s online presence, you can enlist the guidance of an industry expert. By seeking the expertise of a branding expert, you can help your small business gain a competitive edge in your industry.